Welcome to Rolleston Alms House Charity
The Almshouses 100 years ago, taken from a village postcard, posted in 1910. It shows saplings of the two, now mature and dominant, copper beech trees planted on the lawn by Sir Oswald Mosley in 1902 to commemorate the Coronation of King Edward VII.
The terrace of six Grade II listed almshouses is administered under the terms of “The Charity of William Roulston and Others in the Parishes of Rolleston and Anslow in the County of Staffordshire”, commonly called “Rolleston Almshouse Charity”.
As with other early Rolleston village charities, the original area of benefit was the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Rolleston which included Rolleston, Anslow, parts of Tatenhill and certain rights in the Forest of Needwood. Although these elements separated, administratively, in the 19th Century we continue to operate the Charity in the same catchment area today. This is reflected in the composition of the trustees; two from Rolleston Parish Council, one from Anslow Parish Council, one from East Staffordshire Borough Council (formerly Tutbury Rural District Council) and six co-optative.
Descendants of the Rollestons (now spelled in various ways) are spread world-wide and the village receives international visitors in search of their heritage on a regular basis.
The actions of village benefactors, over the centuries, have had a major influence on the shape of the village that we see today. The combination of the Old Grammar School, St Mary’s Church, Spread Eagle Inn and Almshouses along the Alderbrook, together with the more recently acquired and confirmed village green (the Croft) creates an archetypal village scene that is regarded as one of the best in Staffordshire. The Almshouse Trustees are determined to play their part in retaining the character of the village centre. The almshouses have been upgraded and restored several times over their history but are, again, in imminent need of major renovation. With appropriate action they are capable of remaining attractive accommodation for many years to come.
In 2014 the Charity converted, under a recent Government initiative, to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). This operates, under the Charity Commission, with the name old the old charity and with the same objects. The new designation allows the Charity better access to grant aid and improves the legal status and liabilities of the Trustees.